Monday, July 7, 2014

Florida Supercon 2014


Many of you may have been wondering where I've been lately and my only excuse is that June was an awfully stressful month. With personal anxieties and stresses plus the blood, sweat, and tears I was putting in to my cosplays, it feels like there was either no time or spirit for blogging. But now that FSC has come and gone, I'm in a good place to take this up again with a little write-up about my 3-day con experience. Unfortunately I didn't take any pictures. Since I was in cosplay and because I kept forgetting my camera strap (seriously who does that?) I didn't touch my camera once. I had originally booked cosplay shoots and was looking forward to the event as a way to really get in to that scene, but once I was there my social anxiety kicked in and I was far too sheepish to even ask people for quick photos on my phone. Being a HSP I get particularly overwhelmed with the over-stimulation of convention floors, but I'm hoping that with more exposure to these types of environments I can slowly get used to it. The photos of this post were all taken by my lovely boyfriend, so I apologize for any less-than-stellar compositions and blurred shots..he is a newbie after all.





Our first day of the con was this past Friday, Fourth of July, so the whole place felt sort-of dead. We stayed for an alarmingly short amount of time because the vibe was kinda lame and I felt really insecure in my cosplay. It felt great to have "Welcome to Night Vale" fans recognize my Eternal Scout cosplay, but at the same time so many people just clearly didn't get it and it made me feel really awkward. Even fellow WTNV cosplayers seemed to be a little slow to realize what I was at first, so after a couple hours of that nonsense I just wanted to get home and away from people. 


Saturday was the complete opposite. While the previous day had empty halls and few cosplays, Saturday was the day of the costume contest and there were tons of quality cosplayers everywhere. The high-energy of Saturday was far more exhausting, but it definitely kept my spirits up throughout the day. I also wore my Elizabeth (from BioShock Infinite) cosplay and felt fairly confident wearing it which allowed me to just focus on taking in everything around me.



There was a lot of really phenomenal cosplays, but this one actually took my breath away a little bit. I love love The Winter Soldier and would love to cosplay Bucky myself one day, so I love the way this individual took all the badassery of the character and added traditional femininity to the design. I was quite visibly swooning, but I think it just came off as me acting in character or so I hope..


Sunday was definitely the best day, but unfortunately everything closed up rather early and I didn't get to spend as much time there as I wanted to. With all the good vibes and energy of Saturday, but with the fewer numbers of people closer to that of Friday, it was the perfect day to really get to peruse each and every booth. My favorite part of conventions is just admiring all the hand-made items and all the wonderful art. I was definitely kicking myself for not being able to afford much of anything, but I definitely have a ton of business cards for the future when I'm ready to splurge on some more geekery goodness. 



I was lucky enough to find another BioShock Infinite cosplayer and what better than Rosalind Lutece! I may have looked a little frightened to see her at first (you know she is partly responsible for Elizabeth being taken from her father and locked in a tower for a big chunk of her life...), but I was excited to get a photo with her. I saw two other Elizabeths like myself and two other versions of Liz throughout the whole con, but I was surprised I never found a Booker DeWitt cosplayer or even a Little Sister. Perhaps the next con I will find more from this awesome series and get to take some more photos.


I wore Elizabeth for the second time and was so glad I did. It felt amazing to receive so many compliments and have so many people take notice and want photos. A few people were bold enough to say it was one of the best Liz cosplays they had seen in awhile, which made me want to tear up. I barely know how to sew and this was my first attempt at even making something like this, so to have such a strong reaction was wonderful. Even the most amazing critiques and praise I have received in art school doesn't compare. Cosplay is definitely the most rewarding hands-on, creative activity I have ever done and I'm so excited to have this motivation to keep going. I'll be dedicating individual posts to each cos in the future, so stay tuned for that!

All in all, this may not have been the biggest or most exciting con, but it was full of some wonderful and talented people and I'm glad I could be a part of the experience.


20 comments:

  1. It looks like you had a lot fun, also I totally was following along via your instagram. Also is it weird to say but with that brown hair you really look like Zooey Deschanel!
    Justine
    http://theredlipchronicles.blogspot.com

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Not weird, I'm insanely flattered! Thanks <3

      Delete
  2. Oh my God you are like my soul sister! :P It's so damned awesome that you cosplay--even if you're going as a character that nobody has heard of before, it's not necessarily reason to be insecure about it! The first time I cosplayed was as a character from a Japanese manga called Hana Kimi--I went as a not-very-well-known character called Julia and my friend was her best friend. We just wore Japanese schoolgirl costumes, essentially. Nobody knew who we were but lots still asked for pictures and everyone seemed to be having a lot of fun! Of course the next time we went as Sailor Venus + Jupiter, so we were really well-known then, but both times were equally fun just enjoying the atmosphere and the booths and the stage shows.. Cosplaying is great :) You make a very cute Elizabeth by the way! The brown hair weirdly suits you (and by weirdly I mean it's strange not to see you with fair hair!).

    Demi | carbonchic.com.au

    P.S. I put a link up for you over on my blog of a cheap-ish pair of light blue kitty flats I found in case you're interested :P

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. We are totally soul sisters <3 I wouldn't have minded if people hadn't said or acted in ways that made me uncomfortable about it, honestly. Thank you, love. It makes sense.. my hair is naturally a light/mousy brown, so it definitely feels almost natural to me.

      P.S. You are too sweet and thoughtful <3

      Delete
    2. People are dicks, Delores, there's no two ways about it.Pay no heed to those who don't matter in your life--especially if you'll never see them again after that day ;) I'm sure the Elizabeth cosplay more than made up for it! (How awesome was Infinite though--I keep replaying it like some obsessed fangirl--SUCH a good game series)

      Delete
    3. You're right! Elizabeth totally made up for any of the uncomfortable vibes. Infinite was AMAZIIING! I haven't replayed it yet because I've been playing BioShock 1&2. Have you played Burial at Sea yet? I've been dying to, but I'm hoping it'll come down in price first.

      Delete
    4. Oh Lord you know I've been meaning to play number 2 but I can't muster the enthusiasm, it's a multiplayer and I hate playing alone! I had to force my boyfriend to watch me play Infinite so it didn't feel so lonely haha.

      I have not played Burial at Sea--Just like you, waiting for a Steam sale to come along, haha :P Then I'll finally be able to get torn away from Infinite!

      Delete
    5. I never played the online multiplayer for BioShock 2, but the campaign is excellent. Seriously, I loved the story and it mirrors a lot of what goes on in Infinite. I get what you mean about playing alone though, except its because I'm convinced I'm pretty funny when I play games and I need others to enjoy my hilarity :p

      Oh those Steam sales! If only I had an appropriate computer for gaming. I'm hoping it'll go on sale soon.. I cannot get enough. I seriously need another BioShock game!

      Delete
  3. I'm so glad that you had so much fun! And I definitely missed seeing your posts, so I am really happy that you are back (:
    P.S. I second Justine's comment about you looking like Zooey D when you wear your dark wig. The resemblance is uncanny!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Aw thanks, sweetie <3 That is a huge compliment too hah!

      Delete
  4. So many amazing costumes!! Thank you for sharing them :D

    SAMI★SPOON

    ReplyDelete
  5. Looks like you had a lovely time and I think your costume looked awesome. Some of the ones you got photos of - wow! People really go all out and I can't help but admire. Hopefully more and more of these events and you'll be a pro in no time with the costumes and the people.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks so much <3 Heck yes! I hope I'll be pro in no time ;D

      Delete
  6. That is so cool! I wish I had the courage to cosplay. I am so glad you dressed up and had a good time. Next time take more photos of your outfits. I would love to see them. :)

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks! Cosplay is the most enjoyable when you really find a character you love and resonates with you. I relate so much to Elizabeth already so it felt effortless.

      As I said in the post, the costumes themselves are getting their own individual posts full of WIP photos, notes, and actual shoots that reflect the environment of the source material for the cosplays. Stay tuned.

      Delete
  7. I wanted to go to Florida Supercon! But my car is broke and I couldn't :( Maybe next year!! I'm actually surprised that you said it wasn't that big... from what I've read about it it's a pretty decent size con to go to (I've never been) but I am glad you had fun on Saturday and Sunday, looking forward to seeing more pics of your cosplays!!

    Also, you have such a cute blog! Just followed you on Bloglovin' ;)

    Jessica
    the.pyreflies.org

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Aw that's a shame! Perhaps next year, or one of the other cons like Animate Miami or Magic City Comic Con. Well I've been to NYCC and I use that as a scale of whats big. Although NYC's Javits Center is actually close in size to that of the Miami Beach Convention Center, the actual floor of FSC was rather sparse. At NYCC I felt like there was an endless amount of things to look at, while at FSC you could round the whole floor rather quickly. There were also lots of empty looking booths and just areas where there was nothing. It was a big venue, yes, but they needed more vendors to really use the space better. While it was nice that there were these huge spaces to walk, I would've enjoyed seeing a bit more stuff and a little more variety. As far as their areas for like panels and the gaming rooms it seemed like sufficient space.

      Thanks dear <3

      Delete
  8. You look so awesome!!! The brown looks nice on you too :3


    I dressed up as Human Luna a few years ago and felt a little awkward since MAYBE 3 people recognized it haha. The same one I got super excited to take pictures of everyone but the floors were overwhelming and I just carried my camera instead D:

    ReplyDelete
  9. Oh my gosh, this looks super!
    I need to go :D
    xox

    ReplyDelete