Monday, August 11, 2014

Cosplay: Eternal Scout (WTNV)


Whats challenging and fun about cosplaying a character from "Welcome to Night Vale" is there is no predetermined look. In many cases, cosplayers research and stare at source images trying to get their costumes as close as possible or purposely altering the design to fit their own vision. But with Night Vale there is much more left to your imagination. "Welcome to Night Vale" is a podcast series told from the perspective of a radio host named Cecil Palmer. Cecil reports on the goings-ons of "a friendly desert community where the sun is hot, the moon is beautiful, and mysterious lights pass overhead while we all pretend to sleep." If you haven't listened to this podcast, you really should. It has great POC characters, a canon homosexual relationship, music played as weather segments, and tons of dark humor.



Materials:
Beret - eBay // Shirt - Vintage // Shorts - Thrifted 
Tights - Amazon // Shoes - eBay // Purple Sash - Handmade 
Eye Brooch - Handmade // Scout Patches - Thrifted & Handmade

The Process:
In searching for specific pieces I referred to many typical Girl Scouts uniforms and adjusted my interpretation from there. I scoured the internet for pieces that would not only work for this cosplay, but could also double as just typical additions to my wardrobe. Once I had everything bought, I simply started the process of making the cosplay come alive. Eternal Scouts are supposed to be terrifying and capable of murder, so I started off the accessorizing, if you will, with a handmade eye-ball brooch. I simply crafted a small white ball shape out of white Sculpey and painted it to look like an eye. I also added thick layers of glossy varnish to give it that realistic look. Refer to this video if you would like a more comprehensive explanation of how to accomplish something similar.



Next up was creating the scout sash with a heavy fabric that could lay flat properly throughout the convention. I used an existing scout sash I had laying around as a simple pattern as to how it should fit along my torso. After the sash was all sewn up and ready for badges, I tried to closely follow the layout of the official Girl Scouts ones. Using my existing troop badges (that I painted and weathered) and pins from when I was a Girl Scout as a kid, I began to adhere them to the sash with craft glue. The large Eternal Scout badge is official WTNV merch and can be bought here. I also created my own badges with felt and pre-made blank badges where I took fan art photos and transferred them to the material. Although I have experimented with this a lot in the past, this tutorial is simple and effective for successful photo transfers. In my personal opinion using a photo quality matte paper leads to the best results.

                         Eternal Scout badges, from Night Vale’s finest youth organization.Dog Park Maintenance, Cloak Repair, ESP Amateurism, Esp Mastery, ESP Madness, Elusiveness, Community Radio Service, Hooks.
(via Kate or Die!)



Making the transfers can sometimes be a little tricky as they require some patience and experimentation. The badge on the right was one that got too saturated with water and was not allowed enough time to dry properly. Side note: this design is a play on the Boy Scouts crest, but because it looked super rad I decided to add it to my Girl Scouts-type sash and just roll with it anyway.

(design found via Scout's bloodpact)

Once the badges and everything were successfully put together, I used black paint and sand paper to weather the sash itself. As much as I wanted to throw paint on the rest of the outfit, I didn't want to ruin anything just yet. In the future I will probably just go for it and use stage dirt or something to dirty up the rest of it, but in a way that's maybe not too irreversible. 


Finishing Touches:

For the make-up I wore for this cosplay, I just took lots of black eye shadow and eyeliner to make a very smudged, messy eye. I also had some old fake blood laying around which I mixed with a brighter red paint and diluted to stain my hands and forearms with. As much as I wanted black or white contacts for the extra creepiness, I ran out of time to get them. Luckily, Photoshop exists so I can pretend my eyes looked super crazy all day. As for my hair, I was pleased to simply just walk around with messy bedhead. 


I unfortunately didn't get any good full-body shots, but I was sure to wear some coordinating tights and basic oxfords. Plus, unintentionally matching my chipped purple nail polish with the rest of the ensemble.


Although I'm sure there were tons of people who didn't quite 'get' my cosplay, I'm looking forward to potentially wearing it to the next NYC WTNV live show. They have been touring for awhile now and whenever they visit Brooklyn I always seem to be out of town. I'm hoping to finally see them in person and meet tons of other WTNV fans (and maybe even the voice actors.) Overall this cosplay was super fun to put together as I had tons of creative freedom with it. Creating the Eternal Scout outfit was definitely one of the least stressful cosplays I've done to date and I cannot wait to potentially do more WTNV characters later down the line.


24 comments:

  1. You look terrifying. Congratulations! :P

    ReplyDelete
  2. I absolutely love that podcast! I've wanted to cosplay an Eternal Scout for a while & your post is great inspiration!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Aw thank you so much! That is great to hear <3

      Delete
  3. oh my gosh your eyes!! they look so scary, I love it! you did a great job! :)

    Jessica
    the.pyreflies.org

    ReplyDelete
  4. omg. this is just too awesome. one of the best cosplays ever! your eyes and the scout sash are fantastic <3

    weirdoland - pigeongray.blogspot.com

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Aw thank you thank you! You are too sweet <3

      Delete
  5. So rad! You look amazing and I think I'm gonna have to check out WTNV - it sounds great! I love your cosplays :)
    http://tinygreycat.blogspot.com

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Definitely check it out! Thank you so much <3

      Delete
  6. woahhh this is awesome!!!!! :) who cares if no one "gets" it! You're a badass!!

    love, polly
    pollybland.com

    ReplyDelete
  7. I love this so much!!! That eyeball brooch is so creepy and awesome! Nice little touch :D

    ReplyDelete
  8. This is AMAZING! You did a great job with both the costume and the photos! I love WTNV, and you look just as creepy as those Eternal Scouts sound :)

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Aw thank you so much! This means a lot to me <33

      Delete
  9. The photos are quite terrifying, haha! I've always been pretty curious about that podcast, because I've heard some really great things!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Definitely give it a go! Its best on quiet nights when you can't quite fall asleep. c:

      Delete
  10. Whaaaa, this is AWESOME! Love Night Vale and I think this cosplay completely embodies everything weird and creepy about it. :)

    ReplyDelete