Wednesday, August 13, 2014

Wynwood Walls


Although this summer in Miami may not have been the most exciting couple of months, I was glad to just be back home. Even though I didn't do all that I had originally wanted to, I'm just happy that I had a chance to be back in a place so familiar and comfortable. However, I did get the chance to spend some time in some new places as well. Frequenting the art district of Wynwood for backgrounds in photos was an interesting experience, as I always felt like with each visit I was just seeing more and more.





Sure Miami may not be the art epicenter of the U.S. and maybe it's no NYC, but Wynwood proves that there's no right or wrong way to create and appreciate art. Taking over what used to be a warehouse and manufacturing district, these neglected buildings have since become pieces of art. The district now is home to over 70 galleries, as well as restaurants, cafes, and other creative businesses.




Aside from being a cool place for people to take Instagram photos, it is a quite visible, bold display of a local artistic perspective. Graffiti has had a complicated history with a social stigma about its uses and creators. In Wynwood, the paint upon these walls can vary from conventional graffiti styles to even the most painterly of artistic traditions.



Despite any differences in style or subject, the vibrant walls of Wynwood reflect the local aesthetics and sensibilities. As someone who has a complicated relationship with my hometown (in which its a constant love/hate,) I can appreciate the colorful nature of this particular city and the various cultural influences which keep it so intriguing.



Contrary to my blog name, I can't say I get out that much. I find it difficult to feel comfortable in most places, and largely that is due to crowds and my looming anxieties. Also as much as I would love to travel, that part of my life is definitely somewhere in the future. However, Wynwood is one of few places back home where I feel like I can freely wander. 




I hope you all enjoyed this little "photo dump" and have some place to visit if you're ever that far south. Although I'm feeling homesick and disappointed this summer is quickly coming to its end, I look forward to continuing to revisit my home, watching it change and grow with time.




13 comments:

  1. these are amazing, sadly I've never seen wall art like this in real life... but hopefully I'll make a trip to Miami one day and I'll get the chance to! thanks for sharing :)

    Jessica
    the.pyreflies.org

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I hope you get to someday too! This place is near the beach too, so all the more reason to visit c;

      Delete
  2. Some of this are is really amazing! There are a few places where graffiti is allowed in Belgium and some of the art work is really great. In Brussels they have a walk called the 'comic strip walk' and you can see a bunch of houses where they have painted different scenes on them. It's quite funny and great at the same time.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. That sounds incredible, I'd love to see that!

      Delete
  3. Wow. There's photos are really gorgeous. That photo with the eyes behind the trees is very hauntingly beautiful! I have a city near me with a lot of art on buildings (but it seems like you can find a handful of murals wherever you go in Florida), and I am definitely inspired to go photograph them, now!
    thelacunastitch.blogspot.com

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thank you! I would love to see them! You know I love your Florida-centric posts c;

      Delete
  4. This is so wonderful. You have certainly found some great photo locations! There is absolutely no interesting wall art where I live, consider yourself lucky :).

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Oh don't I know it! I don't know what I'm going to do now that I'm back in NJ c':

      Delete
  5. Wow, this art is so beautiful!!! I especially love the fruit in the first one :)

    ~Bristol

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Totally seems up your alley! Glad you enjoyed the pics c:

      Delete
  6. I love these walls- great photos! I would really love to visit Miami sometime- I've never been to Florida but in my mind it's amazing! :)

    ReplyDelete